Current activities are carried out in the 50% owned venture Seatres AS.
For more info visit: www.seatres.no
Current activities are carried out in the 24% owned venture Aquathor AS.
For more info visit: www.aquathor.com
The name Sverdrup origins from a Danish village. The first Sverdrup to settle in Norway relocated to the town of Halden in the early 1600´s, were our branch of the family lived from the late 1920´s to the early 1950´s.
Was one of the most prominent intellectual Norwegians in the early 19th century. He was building his career as a professor with the university of Copenhagen, for all practical purposes the then capital of Norway within the union of Denmark-Norway. He later contributed to the establishment of the first university in Norway in 1811 where he served as a professor. Georg Sverdrup was one of the initiators of a public library in Norway, which he headed up until 1845. The University Library building in Oslo is named after him. Nevertheless his most significant role was as one of the 112 founding fathers of the Norwegian Constitution and the formulation thereof. Georg served as the first President of the Norwegian National Assembly in 1814 and was a member thereof in two periods.
Georg´s nephew, is probably the best known Sverdrup. Johan played a significant role in the development of the Norwegian political structure and served as Norwegian Prime Minister in the period 1884-1889. The giant Johan Sverdrup oil-field in the North Sea is named after him.
Was a polar explorer and a captain of the Fram expedition.
Was a significant contributor to ocean research. He has given name to the unit for ocean water transport with one Sverdrup being equivalent to one million cubic meters per second. He was a member of the Maud polar expedition. The Sverdrup Islands between Greenland and Canada are named after him.
Growing up at Eidsvoll as the oldest son of Cellulose Engineer William Sverdrup (1866-1944), he was recruited to Saugbrugs (Norske Skog) in Halden after completing his degree in Chemical Engineering in Trondheim. He relocated then to Gjøvik in the early 1950´s to head up the Toten Cellulose Paper mill.